Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Koan by Emily Dickinson

I'm reading Bring Me the Rhinoceros by John Tarrant, who presents a number of Zen koans and associated stories.  He quotes Emily Dickinson in one of the chapter headings:

"Friday I tasted life.  It was a vast morsel.  A Circus passed the house - still I feel the red in my mind though the drums are out.  The lawn is full of south and the odors tangle, and I hear today for the first time the river in the tree."

This strikes me with great force every time I pass my eyes over it.  It is like a hallucination or a peek into the world of an alien mind.  I can't make logical sense of it, but it seems true, and it makes reality seem more real.

I guess this is what koans are supposed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: I review comments.